I personally prefer the merit style of the 'status' page containing a
snapshot of not only current but relevant information for the past few
days.  its not as verbose, but presents a better overview of UP/DOWN.

http://www.merit.edu/mail.archives/mn-network-events/

Even netmon has this in its alerts:
http://netmon.cl.msu.edu/netmon/msu/allbbdown.html (Recently Down.. Back
Up).

Why does it show scheduled outages if its not going to show resolved
outages? Maybe it should say "UP - MSU5 router" under outages to let
people know an explict change has occured - rather than dissapearing.

The other possibility is that an 'archived status history' event might
still have relevance to a current problem a user is experiencing.  Why
should there be a separate link to let people get an idea of change that
might have occurred?  The possibility of providing the illusion that
there was not a recent problem is somewhat high.  If just the past 7
days were added below the "Systems Scheduled for Maintenance", it would
be a welcome addition.   Then the archived status link can be placed in
a section which is relevant to its content which is displayed.

BTW - either the joins or updates to the db seem really weird:
https://contact.cl.msu.edu/status/status_history.php?id=000000000000212

same body copy 4 times..