According to the student Employment Office it's all based on what level
the students are hired at.  Mine are hired at Level 2 and may or may
not be upgraded to Level 3 after a year or two.

The following information was taken from:
http://www.csp.msu.edu/seo/rates.cfm

Level I: $6.27 - $7.80
Level II: $6.81 - $8.51
Level III: $7.43 - $9.26