At 02:20 PM 10/21/2003, Rich Wiggins wrote:
>We don't want to confuse end users
>with a client configuration that mixes the new mail.msu.edu
>service for outgoing mail while using Pilot for incoming mail.
>This could generate a lot of confusion for customers who,
>for instance, have a problem sending or receiving mail and who
>call the help desk seeking a diagnosis.

Well the users whom we switched to this arrangement were already using
mixed servers and also having to edit them all the time, so the new
arrangement was actually less confusing.

The people I'm talking about have portables that they use on networks other
than MSU's, such as a cable service at home, a LAN at another office, a
connection in a hotel, or an overseas dialup ISP.  At every location they
had to figure out the correct SMTP server for that particular ISP, and put
it into their email software settings (because pilot.msu.edu doesn't allow
relaying from remote IP addresses).  Then when they came back to campus,
they had to switch bakc to pilot.msu.edu.  I would be surprised if the help
desk wasn't already diagnosing problems like this.  Switching their
outgoing mail to mail.msu.edu made things much simpler for them because it
would work regardless of their location.

--Chris
Chris Wolf                    Computer Service Manager
Agricultural Economics        [log in to unmask]
Michigan State University     517 353-5017