While what Chris says is technically correct, it is not the advice
we're giving to end users.  We don't want to confuse end users
with a client configuration that mixes the new mail.msu.edu
service for outgoing mail while using Pilot for incoming mail.
This could generate a lot of confusion for customers who,
for instance, have a problem sending or receiving mail and who
call the help desk seeking a diagnosis.

Moreover, a large fraction of customers use Webmail.  They do not
have an option of choosing which SMTP server handles their mail;
the message would be especially confusing for them.

So the statement stands.  Our advice to Pilot users who experience
problems sending mail to an aol.com address is to upgrade to
mail.msu.edu.

/rich