On Monday 22 September 2003 03:05 pm, Lauri Stephens wrote:
> At 02:43 PM 9/22/2003 -0400, you wrote:
> >We have experienced a few cases of service pack application problems,
> >where the update runs to about 75% completion and then unloads with an
> >extremely uninformative "Access Denied" message box. In one case, I
> >re-applied SP2 and the application of SP4 was successful. In three other
> >cases, SP3 and SP4 fail with the same symptom at all attempts. I have
> >attempted to apply these SPs in a variety of situations, as local and
> >domain admin, with some to nearly all non-essential tasks loaded... all to
> >no avail. If anyone else has experienced this scenario and was able to
> >achieve success, I would be delighted to know what you found...
>
> We ran into this and ended up reformatting the hard drives.  There was no
> rhyme or reason for the ones that had this problem.  None of them were
> alike, but were all Win200 machines.
>
> Lauri

I should have better notes on this, but I crashed into this once, on a
friends machine.  It was a program in \winnt which was open and locked,
which sp4 wanted to remove for an update.   Once I figured that out I was
able to delouse the machine, and then SP4 worked OK.

So I would consider the fact that such a machine was compromised.

--STeve Andre'