I ended up implementing MS SUS about six to nine months ago.  We don't
use MS IIS for any other web hosting, so I was very leery of setting it
up, however, as long as the patches are up to date on the server, I
haven't seen any problems.

I just saw a notification yesterday that MS SUS will also now allow
network installs of service packs.  I had used a Group Policy Object
with Win2K SP3 and that took a long time to get every computer updated,
some never did get updated.  I am going to try SUS this time around
(SP4) and see what happens.

I have the group policy set (with the same admin template that Tony
Cooke mentioned) with basically the same settings.  The machines are set
to download approved updates daily.   I have one group of machines (six
total) that this does not work on (users can't be bothered with pop up
window to reboot when running an experiment), so I have not made this my
default domain policy, but rather have a Organizational Unit in Active
Directory with the policy.  The only administrative work I have is to
check what new updates were downloaded automatically by my SUS server
(again, daily) that I should approve or not approve for my workstations
(check or no check and click "Approve").  I also have to make sure that
any new computer added to Active Directory gets placed in the OU to get
the auto update GPO.

I use Altiris Deployment Solution and Altiris Inventory Solution to see
who has and doesn't have an update.  If you don't have these tools,
hfnetchk, the free version, will tell you.

I looked at the same products as John, and I also have Altiris
Deployment Solution, but that wasn't "great" either.  Most packages
(save HfNetChk - which does this for you in the latest version, but
didn't used to) you had to manually download the .exe, setup the
switches in .bat file, and then schedule for computers.  This was very
troublesome on the 350 Windows boxes I manage.  This could definitely
become a full time job for someone.  Of course, a lot has changed in the
past six to nine months, and I'm sure there are more robust packages
now.

I think, patch management tools will get better very fast, but they will
also be expensive.  Right now, SUS is free, and it has been working for
me.  In the last few rounds of virus problems, I had under 10 machines
with problems (note, I have over 350 computers I'm patching).

As far as faculty and remotely rebooting their computers... We told them
if we didn't they could lose their data/work/settings.  It only takes
one victim before the others will come running to get their machine
patched.

I hope I've helped and not confused anyone even more.  A bit of rambling
I'm afraid.

Katie Clark
National Superconducting Cyclotron Laboratory
Michigan State University
517.333.6338