Is it possible that you're dealing with Comcast customers who were
previously served by AT&T Broadband before that service was bought out by
Comcast?  Those customers would have had mail.attbi.com as their SMTP
server prior to the buyout.  Comcast continued to operate a server at that
address for quite some time after the buyout, while at the same time
telling customers that they should switch their settings to
smtp.comcast.net.  We heard from one such user last week that he couldn't
send mail all of a sudden.  When we found out he hadn't changed from the
attbi.com server yet, we concluded that Comcast must have finally shut down
the old address.

At 12:17 PM 9/29/2003, Wendy Tate wrote:
>Hello all;
>
>I live in the boonies, where we don't have nice stuff like cable modems.
>Three of our faculty members have recently begun to complain that they
>can't send mail through their Comcast cable connections anymore.

--Chris
Chris Wolf                    Computer Service Manager
Agricultural Economics        [log in to unmask]
Michigan State University     517 353-5017