We had problems with Win2K.  Here's how we solved it:

Insert the operating system disk and select repair don't use the "repair
console", it didn't wrok for us.   It replaces the
systems files back to whatever service pack is on the CD.  We created a CD
with a full version of sp4 and the blaster patch.  Then installed SP4 off
our CD. (I would probably disconnect it from the network to be safe.)
Rebooted the machine and installed the blaster patch.  Then went to
the windows update site and continued with the remaining patches.  Everything
was perfect and we did not have to reinstall or repair anything existing on the
computer.

I hope this works for you.
Darlene