I can respond to the AUS/SUS questions:

We are using the AUS at the client level. Granted, this is not ideal as it
will cause each individual client to connect 'to Microsoft' and get updates,
but it's a heck of a lot better than running around to each machine
individually (been there, done that). Installing an SUS server would be
nice, as this eliminates a lot of unnecessary internet traffic, and gives
you the control to approve/decline which updates your clients receive - but
an SMS server would be better yet, as it would keep a rolling inventory
about which client are/aren't patched with what.

So back to SUS... We are using an Active Directory GPO to force the AUS
configuration to the client. Big tip here: get the updated *.ADM template
from Microsoft in order to get all of the options available for AUS (minus
writing your own GPO template). It can be found here:

Read: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=328010
Download:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=D26A0AEA-D274-42E6-
8025-8C667B4C94E9&displaylang=en

How we have it configured:

Clients automatically download updates and attempt install at 3AM, every
day.

If a user is logged in, they are prompted to install the updates <yes/no>
with a 5 minute countdown timer. If no action is taken after 5 minutes, it
defaults to <yes>. After updates are installed, the user is prompted to
reboot their computer <yes/no> - there is NOT a default at this screen. This
way the user will not lose any unsaved work.

If there is not a user logged in, the computer automatically installs and
reboots.

If the computer is not on at the scheduled install time: the process begins
5 minutes after the machine is powered on, and resumes the cycle as
explained above.

Hope this helps.

Also, I see you've mentioned GFI's LanGuard below. Have you tried eEyes'
'Retina'? It feels like a pretty well rounded product and would be good for
auditing your network.

Regards,

Tony