Thank you Doug,

It looks like all our fixed IP machines are now clean at the law college. Since some of our part-time faculty register their laptops via DHCP, we have had a hard time tracking down some infected machines (since they may only be on campus one or two days a week.)  We'll get them clean as soon as they are back in the building.

A question for you:  some of the addresses on the list, when I managed to track them down, belong to student laptops who have registered their computers in the DHCP database.  Are you sending emails to students when a DHCP address registered to a student shows up on these lists?  Since they all had to register using their Pilot IDs, I was curious to know if you are running this list against the DHCP registry to notify students?  Or are you expecting the network administrators to try and identify student machines that are infected?

Thanks for all your hard work on this.  I know I am not the only one who appreciates all your hard work in helping us track down infected machines.

John A. Resotko
Head of Systems Administration
MSU - Detroit College of Law
208 Law College Building
East Lansing, MI  48824-1300
email: [log in to unmask]
Phone: 517-432-6836
Fax: 517-432-6861

>>> [log in to unmask] 08/20/03 07:54PM >>>
Please note:  I have now posted today's list of infected computer
systems to the web site listed below.  The current list includes
systems which are doing ICMP (ping request) scans, as well as
Microsoft network scans.  The ICMP scans are primarily a result
of the "W32.Welchia" worm, whereas the port 135 scans are primarily
from "W32.Blaster".  Both worms exploit the MS DCOM vulnerability.

Doug

Doug Nelson                     [log in to unmask]
Network Manager                 Ph: (517) 353-2980
Computer Laboratory             http://www.msu.edu/~nelson/
Michigan State University