The campus network admins are blocking ports 135, 137, 138, and 139. The last three are Netbios ports and are what is used for mapping. Outlook won't work correctly from off campuse now either.

	-----Original Message-----
	From: John Gorentz [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
	Sent: Thu 8/21/2003 2:47 PM
	To: [log in to unmask]
	Subject: AFS access from off-campus

	Two questions:

	1.  Does it currently work to map AFS space from Windows computers on the campus network?

	2.  Has anything been done in the way of firewall-type protection that would keep this from working from Michnet dial-up or off-campus sites?

	Some of our faculty members who are getting ready for classes on campus next week have been surprised to find that the AFS mapping they used to do isn't working now, either from dial-up Michnet or from our kbs.msu.edu subnets.   They haven't gotten any useful information by calling the regular consulting desk.  I don't do this mapping frequently myself, and it looks like the web links that ought to take me from the cl.msu.edu web site to the pages explaining how to do it are broken right now, so I am just going by what they've told me.

	These faculty members use the AFS space to prepare materials for their classes.  They understand that the computer lab staff is inundated with security problems right now.  But they are also concerned that maybe it isn't even working from campus computers.

	(AFS mapping *does* work from our Microlab computers.)

	John Gorentz
	W.K. Kellogg Biological Station