From: MSU Network Administrators Group [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of John Valenti
Sent: Monday, August 25, 2003 8:36 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: OpenAFS install instructions

FYI
Here's a draft on installing the OpenAFS client on Windows 2000. Feel
free to edit it for your purposes.

The OpenAFS client allows you to connect to AFS resources, such as
personal & class webspace at MSU. This access method uses the original
AFS protocols, rather than MS Networking (those ports are blocked in
many cases now) or FTP.

INSTALLATION
1. Download the Windows client at the very bottom of this page:
http://openafs.org/release/latest.html
(Version 1.2.10, filename AFSforWindows.exe, about 12.8MB)

2. Run it.
    A. take the "English" default - OK
    B. deselect "AFS Supplemental documentation"  (unless you want it)
    C. AFS cell data bases - take default - NEXT   ***
    D. Enter cell name - use default (openafs.org)  ***
    E. At the next screen (Select local drive mounting), deselect both
Z: and U:  ***
    F. Finish installation & REBOOT.

USING IT
After rebooting and logging in, find the new icon for the AFS client in
your system tray.
Click the button to obtain tokens.
    Cell should be msu.edu
    Username should be your MSU NetID  (is that what we call it this
week?)
    PW should be your password
    Click and you should receive a (Kerberos?) token good for 24 hours.
Switch to the tab for Drive Letters
    Click on the entry and select the Change button
    Choose an available drive letter.
    For the AFS path use something like \afs\msu.edu\user\v\a\valenti
****
       (the "v" above would be replaced by the first letter of your ID,
the "a" by the second letter, the "valenti" by your ID
    Click the button to reconnect automatically, if you want.

You should be connected to your AFS home directory now.

NOTES
***  - I'm ignorant of the finer details of AFS. Possibly the default
cell name should be msu.edu, or perhaps someone could customize a data
file that would automate more of this process.

**** - I think there is a path that would be the root of MSU's AFS
space, then you could maneuver around to whatever folders you have
permissions in.