Here is a quick solution based on the old insecure FTP (just as secure
as AFS space that requires Plant Text passwords).
Open IE
Type ftp:[log in to unmask]
a box will come up for your password
In the right view a window open with folder that you can drop stuff on.
Just like a mapped drive.
Add it to your favorites.
Open the favorites and edit the properties to say [log in to unmask]
drag it to the desktop
You can change the icon to a folder that looks like a mapped drive.

Uwe Rossbach
PRL/ Plant Biology