From: "John Fishbeck" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Monday, August 25, 2003 2:33 PM
Subject: Windows drive mapping to AFS space being on campus too?

> Fellow NAGers (and NAGettes),
>
> Yup, I know, and have known, about the Microsoft TCP/IP ports being
blocked at the campus network boundary. And so I understand (and support)
why I can't map drives from my home system to my AFS space.

> But I've always been able to map a drive from a work machine, on campus
here in the Physical Plant bldg, to my AFS space. However, in the past week
or so, it appears that this no longer works either. Normally I just map
through the Windows Explorer file mgmt GUI, but when this didn't work I went
to the command prompt to see what's going on (or not, as the case may
be...), and this is what I see:

>   C:\>net use O: \\afs.msu.edu\fishbeck
>   System error 53 has occurred.
>
>   The network path was not found.
>
>   C:\>net use O: \\afs\fishbeck
>   System error 53 has occurred.
>
>   The network path was not found.
>
> Note that I'm not being denied access, nor is it the case that no
connection is being made. Instead, it seems to be the case that the network
path, i.e., my home directory (pilot user id) name isn't being
located/resolved/whatever.

> And the fishbeck directory really does exist, and is spelled correctly.
See, for example, the ftp session below: