From: MSU Network Administrators Group [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of Uwe Rossbach
Sent: Thursday, August 21, 2003 3:27 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: AFS access from off-campus

John Gorentz wrote:

>Two questions:
>
>1.  Does it currently work to map AFS space from Windows computers on
>the campus network?
>
>2.  Has anything been done in the way of firewall-type protection that
>would keep this from working from Michnet dial-up or off-campus sites?
>
>Some of our faculty members who are getting ready for classes on campus
next week have been surprised to find that the AFS mapping they used to
do isn't working now, either from dial-up Michnet or from our
kbs.msu.edu subnets.   They haven't gotten any useful information by
calling the regular consulting desk.  I don't do this mapping frequently
myself, and it looks like the web links that ought to take me from the
cl.msu.edu web site to the pages explaining how to do it are broken
right now, so I am just going by what they've told me.

>These faculty members use the AFS space to prepare materials for their
>classes.  They understand that the computer lab staff is inundated with

>security problems right now.  But they are also concerned that maybe it

>isn't even working from campus computers.
>
>(AFS mapping *does* work from our Microlab computers.)
>
>John Gorentz
>W.K. Kellogg Biological Station

Why don't you just FTP the files into the AFS space. Uwe Rossbach