None of us in my office on campus, running Windows XP, can access AFS via
drive mapping anymore.  I also got a call from a faculty member running
Windows 2000 who was getting errors from an existing AFS mapping that he
had been using for a long time.  Since like everybody else we have applied
numerous Windows service packs and patches recently, we have been wondering
if something like a tightened security setting in one of them was causing
the problem.

At 02:33 PM 8/25/2003, you wrote:
>Fellow NAGers (and NAGettes),
>
>Yup, I know, and have known, about the Microsoft TCP/IP ports being
>blocked at the campus network boundary. And so I understand (and support)
>why I can't map drives from my home system to my AFS space.
>
>But I've always been able to map a drive from a work machine, on campus
>here in the Physical Plant bldg, to my AFS space. However, in the past
>week or so, it appears that this no longer works either. Normally I just
>map through the Windows Explorer file mgmt GUI, but when this didn't work
>I went to the command prompt to see what's going on (or not, as the case
>may be...), and this is what I see:
>
>   C:\>net use O: \\afs.msu.edu\fishbeck
>   System error 53 has occurred.
>
>   The network path was not found.
>
>   C:\>net use O: \\afs\fishbeck
>   System error 53 has occurred.
>
>   The network path was not found.
>
>Note that I'm not being denied access, nor is it the case that no
>connection is being made. Instead, it seems to be the case that the
>network path, i.e., my home directory (pilot user id) name isn't being
>located/resolved/whatever.
>
>And the fishbeck directory really does exist, and is spelled correctly.
>See, for example, the ftp session below:
>
>   C:\>ftp pilot.msu.edu
>   Connected to pilot.msu.edu.
>   220-
>   220-Michigan State University
>   220-    Pilot FTP Server
>   220-
>   220-  Authorized users only
>   220-
>   220 FTP server ready.
>   User (pilot.msu.edu:(none)): fishbeck
>   331 Password required for fishbeck.
>   Password:
>   230 User fishbeck logged in.  Access restrictions apply.
>   ftp> pwd
>   257 "/msu/user/f/i/fishbeck" is current directory.
>   ftp> quit
>   221 Goodbye.
>
>Anybody else seeing this, or is this just my issue to figure out?
>
>As always, pearls of wisdom are welcome.
>
>Regards,
>
>John Fishbeck
>Physical Plant Computer Systems

--Chris
Chris Wolf                    Computer Service Manager
Agricultural Economics        [log in to unmask]
Michigan State University     517 353-5017