To MSU NAG members: I'm posting this on behalf of Tom Davis, Interim
Director, MSU Computer Laboratory.

About Recent mail.msu.edu Service Outages

On Thursday May 15 at approximately 6:30 p.m., mail.msu.edu, MSU’s new
central e-mail system, went down. Computer Laboratory Operations
detected the outage and contacted the mail.msu.edu project team, which
began work on the problem immediately. The outage lasted until 2:30 a.m.
on Friday. The outage follows three other similar unexpected outages.

The Computer Laboratory has identified an intermittent hardware problem
with the two storage arrays used by the mail.msu.edu system. Because all
of the previous outages were on one of the two arrays, it appeared as if
only that storage subsystem was affected. Unfortunately, the most recent
failure occurred on the other, previously-unaffected array. We continue
to work with the vendor to identify the failing components and have them
replaced.

Some customers have asked us why these outages last for an extended
period of time. The storage arrays (configured as RAID 5) are designed
to detect faults and recover in a fraction of the time we are
experiencing. We are also working with the vendor on this problem.

We again apologize for these unexpected outages. We do understand that
outages of the new mail system cause disruption to students, faculty and
staff. The mail team continues to work diligently to resolve the outages
and to prevent future ones.

If you have any questions please contact Computer Laboratory consultants
at 432-6200 or [log in to unmask] Sincerely,