> On Wed, Mar 19, 2003 at 11:08:11AM -0500, Steve Devine wrote:
>
>    All:
>
>    We manage the public afs rotary (afs.msu.edu).  This rotary is
>    comprised of 12 separate unix servers running samba as well as
>    other services.  When we need to patch a server we ask Hostmaster
>    to remove it from the dns rotary. This doesn't seem to accomplish
>    much however because even with these machines out of the rotary the
>    isolated server still gets multiple requests for samba service. We
>    recently had three out for several days and the minute we put them
>    back on line they were serving samba requests even though they
>    still were out of the rotary.
>    [snip]
>
> Just out of curiousity... why are we still using DNS/WINS round-robin
> for this and pilot?  Load balancers are very affordable and pratical
> for distributing load and providing failover.  It would easily fix the
> problems associated with DNS/WINS caching for maintenance, that, and
> if a system were to go down (loose either TCP heartbeat on the SMB
> port or the physical interface loose link) it will automatically be
> removed from the pool and admins notified... no intevention from a
> hostmaster modifying DNS/WINS needed.

Mostly inertia.  I believe we have a project in the works to order a
load balancer, but I'm not sure what is holding this up.

Doug Nelson                     [log in to unmask]
Network Manager                 Ph: (517) 353-2980
Computer Laboratory             http://www.msu.edu/~nelson/
Michigan State University