  From: MSU Network Administrators Group [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On
Behalf Of John Resotko
  Sent: Monday, March 17, 2003 12:27 PM
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Subject: Re: Computer Room Air Conditioning

  I have looked into adding a grill of slats to the top of the door into our
server room as the lowest cost possibility to bleed off some excess warm
air. Physical Plant may be able to give you a price quote on what it would
cost to add that to your existing door, or replace the door with one that
has a ventilation grill installed.

  I've also looked as small portable air conditioning units which are self
contained.   APC, the company most well known for it's UPS devices, has had
a line of server room air conditioning units for a while.  Their smallest,
portable unit running on standard 120V AC is the NetworkAIR 1000.  According
to their product literature, it can cool air as well as dehumidify, and has
a price point around $800.  It sits on casters, has a built in shutoff
timer, and also has an optional "Warm Air Discharge Kit" that includes duct,
adapters, and a ceiling panel to fit most 24" ceiling panel mounts.  I
haven't seen one in person, but I am considering one for my next budget
cycle.  Check out http://www.apc.com for detailed information.

  If anyone out there has experience with this kind of units, I would be
interested in knowing if they met your needs.

  John A. Resotko
  Head of Systems Administration
  MSU - Detroit College of Law
  208 Law College Building
  East Lansing, MI  48824-1300
  email: [log in to unmask]
  Phone: 517-432-6836
  Fax: 517-432-6861

  >>> [log in to unmask] 03/17/03 11:55AM >>>
  We are currently having an issue with the temperature in our server
  room. The building air controls are turned off on evenings and weekends
  and the temperature spikes to an unacceptable level. I was wondering
  what other units have done to combat this issue, and if there has been
  any successful resolutions to this issue.

  |            Michael Surato                 |
  |      Resource Center for Persons          |
  |           with Disabilities               |
  |      Michigan State University            |
  |            120 Bessey Hall                |
  |        East Lansing, MI 48824             |
  | Voice: (517) 353-9643 Fax: (517) 432-3191 |
  |      E-mail: [log in to unmask]        |