Some others from CL might wish to respond, but I'll jump in with my 2 cents
worth:

This situation is an unfortunate byproduct of the transition from Pilot to
mail.msu.edu and the problems and delays we've had on the mail.msu.edu
project.

With limited resources, and with the plans to implement the new system, at
some point we had to stop putting money into hardware for the old system.
But even as we were postponing release of the new system, usage and load on
the old system were continuing to grow, causing stress on Pilot.

What the folks on Core Systems who run Pilot have had to do to keep it from
crashing is to configure it to reject connections when load gets high.
Since at least the end of spring break, load has been consistently high in
the mid-afternoon time frame, causing Pilot to reject connections.  When
this happens messages queue up and are eventually retried and delivered.

This should result in a delay of a few hours at most.  I would be interested
in hearing about confirmed delays of 24 hours or more so that we can look
into into it -- there may be something we can do to fix it.

Suffice it to say that CL is aware of the problem, but there is really no
good short term fix available.  We believe that as users convert to
mail.msu.edu load on Pilot will decrease.

Jim Green
Manager, Technical Services
MSU Computer Laboratory
517.355.4500 ext. 176