On Wed, Mar 19, 2003 at 11:08:11AM -0500, Steve Devine wrote:

   All:

   We manage the public afs rotary (afs.msu.edu).  This rotary is
   comprised of 12 separate unix servers running samba as well as
   other services.  When we need to patch a server we ask Hostmaster
   to remove it from the dns rotary. This doesn't seem to accomplish
   much however because even with these machines out of the rotary the
   isolated server still gets multiple requests for samba service. We
   recently had three out for several days and the minute we put them
   back on line they were serving samba requests even though they
   still were out of the rotary.
   [snip]

Just out of curiousity... why are we still using DNS/WINS round-robin
for this and pilot?  Load balancers are very affordable and pratical
for distributing load and providing failover.  It would easily fix the
problems associated with DNS/WINS caching for maintenance, that, and
if a system were to go down (loose either TCP heartbeat on the SMB
port or the physical interface loose link) it will automatically be
removed from the pool and admins notified... no intevention from a
hostmaster modifying DNS/WINS needed.

Dennis