I agree with almost all of these comments about the webmail
interface.  Just yesterday we were discussing in my office the difficulty
of navigating through your mailbox using this interface, including the
awkward way of sorting your mail.  A related flaw is that there is no way
to go directly to the first message in the mailbox, the last message in the
mailbox, or a specific numbered message in the mailbox.  These are steps
backward from the features of the TWIG and telnet interfaces to Pilot.  In
addition, as far as I can tell, there is no way to search your mail.

These flaws in mail management seem especially odd when combined with the
increase in mailbox size to 64 megs.  It's inevitable that people will be
keeping more mail in their mailboxes. This makes easy mail management even
more important than it was with a smaller mailbox.

Unfortunately, I have to admit that I was a beta tester on this, but
focused almost entirely on documenting the Eudora IMAP problems, and only
logged in to webmail a couple of times.

At 11:36 PM 3/25/2003, you wrote:
>Oh, get off it.
>
>The webmail UI is 1997 quality, at best. Yeah, I really enjoy how I have
>to go to preferences to change my message sorting (as opposed to the de
>facto standard of clicking on the column name), and that I can't choose
>to sort by different columns in different folders. Or that hitting the
>refresh button on my browser logs me out of the webmail, and yet there
>is no 'refresh' or 'check for new mail' link anywhere to be found. So if
>I want to check to see if I have new messages in my inbox I have to
>click to the folder view and then click back to the inbox-- ridiculous.
>
>And Jason's comment about the icons is dead-on. Since when did (badly
>drawn) images trump text in both usability and load time? (and alt text
>hardly counts-- no one wants to mouseover half a dozen cryptic icons
>when all they want to do is reply)
>
>Now I'm not going to dump on the backend-- that seems to work
>beautifully. SSL, authenticated SMTP, etc. Very nice. But don't try to
>pass off this webmail UI as quality in any form. TWIG was better on
>every front except speed, and we all know those speed gains have nothing
>to do with the webmail interface.
>
>Now, in truth, this only indirectly affects me-- I never really used the
>pilot system and I don't plan on using this one either, except to
>forward my mail on. But I do have to support users who will use it, and
>many of them do use webmail. So I suggest you fix it.
>

>Another dissatisfied Jason.
>
>- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>Jason Hicks
>Computing Services Helpdesk
>
>Department of Physics and Astronomy
>Michigan State University
>1209 Biomedical and Physical Sciences Building
>East Lansing, MI 48824-2320
>(517) 355-9200, x2561

--Chris
Chris Wolf                    Computer Service Manager
Agricultural Economics        [log in to unmask]
Michigan State University     517 353-5017