From: Jason Hicks [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Tuesday, March 25, 2003 11:36 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Release date for mail.msu.edu - Upgrade URL

Oh, get off it.

The webmail UI is 1997 quality, at best. Yeah, I really enjoy how I have
to go to preferences to change my message sorting (as opposed to the de
facto standard of clicking on the column name), and that I can't choose
to sort by different columns in different folders. Or that hitting the
refresh button on my browser logs me out of the webmail, and yet there
is no 'refresh' or 'check for new mail' link anywhere to be found. So if
I want to check to see if I have new messages in my inbox I have to
click to the folder view and then click back to the inbox-- ridiculous.

And Jason's comment about the icons is dead-on. Since when did (badly
drawn) images trump text in both usability and load time? (and alt text
hardly counts-- no one wants to mouseover half a dozen cryptic icons
when all they want to do is reply)

Now I'm not going to dump on the backend-- that seems to work
beautifully. SSL, authenticated SMTP, etc. Very nice. But don't try to
pass off this webmail UI as quality in any form. TWIG was better on
every front except speed, and we all know those speed gains have nothing
to do with the webmail interface.

Now, in truth, this only indirectly affects me-- I never really used the
pilot system and I don't plan on using this one either, except to
forward my mail on. But I do have to support users who will use it, and
many of them do use webmail. So I suggest you fix it.

Another dissatisfied Jason.

Jason Hicks
Computing Services Helpdesk

Department of Physics and Astronomy
Michigan State University
1209 Biomedical and Physical Sciences Building
East Lansing, MI 48824-2320
(517) 355-9200, x2561