Well, I agree that a host firewall is a good way to stop an
internal attack, but I wonder how important that is, compared
to all the other attacks that go on?  An interesting question.

My problem with having a firewall on an unsecure platform
like Windows is that, using your analogy, I worry very much
about vandals not going through the door, but around it.  If
someone finds a way to co opt the TCP stack, it doesn't
seem to me that such a firewall is going to be much good.
I also wonder of other methods to mess with a process,
disabling it (what happens then?  Is it passive, or does
it not let anything though, breaking net connectivity?).

But yes, it *will* prevent certain kinds of attacks.  Maybe
even 98% of them; certainly the stupid script kiddie attacks
that are prevelant these days.

When I think of border fiewwalls, I think of departmental
entities, not campus-wide.  Yes, I can readily see how
hard it is to deal with emense data streams, but besides
that, one common firewall imposes restrictions that some
units need but perhaps might impede others.  I don't
think a one size fits all firewall solution works except
for global policy issues.

--STeve Andre'