BlackICE is more than a personal firewall, it also includes some host
level intrusion detection.  That said, it was designed for the small office -
home office market.  The product fits well for units on campus that have
similar characteristics to the intended market.

ISS, the maker of BlackIce, also has something called BlackICE Server
Protection.  I have pulled this marketing blurb off of their web site.

  http://blackice.iss.net/product_server_protection.php

  BlackICE. Server Protection
  BlackICE. Server Protection provides comprehensive firewall, intrusion
  and application protection to secure Web FTP and email servers against
  worms, hybrid threats and other cyber attacks. This patent-pending
  technology combines intelligent outbound blocking, file locking and
  application execution control to automatically monitor and respond to
  malicious activity on a server.

  BlackICE Server Protection secures servers by scrutinizing all traffic
  into and out from a server, constantly on the lookout for suspicious
  activity and ready to aggressively defend against attack.

  BlackICE Server Protection now features Application Protection, an
  exciting new feature designed to shield server.s PCs, laptops and
  workstations from hijack by an attacker, and protects against Trojan
  horse applications, worms and other destructive threats.

  BlackICE protects using the same sophisticated technology that secures
  corporate networks around the world. This unique combination of firewall,
  fast, unobtrusive intrusion protection and straightforward interface
  protects the privacy of any home or office server. BlackICE Server
  Protection is widely available through online outlets.

Late in 2001, (I think), ISS bought the company BlackICE.  BlackICE had
a product to manage multiple installations of BlackICE desktop called ICEcap.
ISS has repositioned ICEcap as part of their RealSecure enterprise level
product line.  This product may be found here:

  http://www.iss.net/products_services/enterprise_protection/rsdesktop/protector_desktop.php

I don't know if the RealSecure version of ICEcap can manage the desktop
version of BlackICE, but their is a downloadable trial version available.
If people are interested in this, I can check into it next week.

I believe that other vendors of "host based firewall" products have
centralized control products, or are developing them.  It is just a matter
of the cost that one is willing to pay.

Depending on a border firewall to filter most threats is dangerous.  This
sort of installation has led to systems where the border is secure, but the
computers were easily compromisable once the border was breached.   The recent
commercial ultra-paranoid security designs I have seen include:  a border
firewall, network intrusion detection, a server firewall, server based
intrusion detection, application based anomoly detection, hardening of the
server, and frequent security updates to any software.

Joe