Any time a computer is on a network where it may be "always on"
for hours, whether a cable modem, DSL, or on a university campus,
it's advisable to have anti virus software on the computer.
For computers that reside on networks that don't have external
hardware firewalls, a personal firewall, even one in software and on the
box in question, is also worth strong consideration.  The firewall can
advise you of repeated attacks that you otherwise would never find out
about.

The original question was whether this is advisable for
faculty.  My suggestion is to try it out with a few faculty
members for a while and see how it goes.  They probably will
need a bit of education as to why it's popping up and asking
for permission to let, say, Internet Explorer act as a server.

/rich