To:  departmental email server administrators:
From:  MSU mail project team

We recently found out that in the past some departments have used email
software that required mail relaying through an external UNIX SMTP server;
and used the Pilot system as the external mail relay server.  An example we
know about is the NLM (Netware) version of Mercury Mail.  Please be aware
that the new MSU mail system will require authentication for all relaying of
mail.  Unauthenticated server-to-server relaying will not be supported on
the new system.  It will continue to be supported on the old system until it
is shut down near the end of calendar 2003.

If you are relaying through Pilot, configured either as hard coded IP
addresses, or as pilot.msu.edu, you should not experience any problems in
the short term.  But you will need
to find a different solution by the time the old Pilot system is shut down
late in 2003.

As always, watch the project web site (http://www.msu.edu/service/email) for
information on the new system.  Questions may be submitted through our
online contact form (http://suggest.cl.msu.edu/suggest_MSUemail), or you may
contact me directly.

Jim Green
Manager, Technical Services