Please forward to application developers, Webmasters, etc...

Based on your replies to my recent query, there is interest in an
overview of .NET, and many of you preferred a date before classes
start.  We've arranged to have the presentation on July 26 from
2:00 p.m until 4:00 in 147 Communication Arts Building.

The presenter is Richard Hale Shaw, a nationally known author
who heads a group that gives training in application development
technologies.  I've known Richard for a number of years in his
role as a founder of the Ann Arbor Computer Society.  He also
has been a contributing editor to PC Magazine and other publications.

As I indicated before, this talk will be a technical and illustrative
overview of .NET, not a sales pitch.

Comm Arts has a convenient parking ramp.  Room 147 is air conditioned.
Please contact me if you have questions (by e-mail or at 353-4955.)

Following is an overview of the talk and more biographical information.

/rich

Microsoft .NET -- An Overview
Presentation by Richard Hale Shaw

A 4-page ad in the New York Times touts Microsoft .NET's ability to
place only "1 degree of separation" between your business processes and
data, and those of your vendors and customers. The same ad says that
".NET is Microsoft's platform for XML Web Services." The implication?
Previous Microsoft technologies have failed to provide the level of
integration (or none at all) offered by .NET, and XML Web Services have
everything to do with .NET's uniqueness in this respect.

Forget the hype.

Microsoft's .NET is a replacement and repackaging of every major
technology that Microsoft has shipped since the appearance of the
Windows API in the mid-1980's. It provides a component techology to
replace the Component Object Model (COM), desktop UI objects to replace
traditional Windows programming, a Web UI layer to replace Active Server
Pages (ASP), database components to replace OLE-DB and ADO, as well as a
complete encapsulation of Web Services and SOAP (v.1.0 and 1.1). .NET
lets developers create new applications and components that can be
platform-independent (albeit .NET-dependent), and written in any number
of development languages (C++, VB, Java, COBOL and a new language based
on C++ and Java: C#), such that components written in different
development languages can connect and communicate with each other
directly. The .NET Framework provides a rich set of core classes (over
3000) for day-to-day programming support, that make .NET development
simpler, easier -- even sexier -- than was possible with previous
Microsoft technologies.

In this 2-hr session, Richard Hale Shaw will blow past the .NET hype to
focus on what .NET really is, using a combination of pithy descriptions
and live demonstrations (not to mention live coding examples). Come to
hear what .NET is really about, and what the future of Windows
development will be for the next several years.

Richard Hale Shaw is the CEO and founder of the Richard Hale Shaw Group,
an internationally-respected training and consulting firm located in Ann
Arbor, MI. The Group addresses .NET, XML, UML and other burgeoning
issues for software developers, and produces the 5-day BootCamp of
intense hands-on developer training. You can learn more about him at:
www.RichardHaleShawGroup.com.