Although I must agree with the thought to start over with a fresh image
I know the time constraints sometimes make that impossible. I HIGHLY
recommend using the Sysprep tool on ALL images not just those being
ported to a new HAL.

In particular it will help you as it will re-enumerate all of your PNP
devices, and you can configure it to search for non-PNP devices as well.
If you have problems getting the HDD controllers to recognize feel free
to contact me. I have dealt with this problem in the past.

If you're not familiar with Sysprep, when run before you take a ghost
of the source computer it will tell windows to boot into mini-setup mode
upon next boot. During this stage you can set all of the neat stuff such
as networking, name, SID, passwords etc. It's what Dell uses before they
ship the computer to you. If you have setup a computer fresh from Dell
or other sources where the OS + some software is pre-installed, this is
what you have seen.

Sysprep is included on the Win2k/XP cd's. I highly recommend reading
over the documentation found at M$'s site or with the Sysprep
executables.

Here at CVM we Sysprep every image before it is deployed. This way we
can be sure that the SID is unique and the tech doing the setup can put
in all of the proper settings right at setup.

I hope this helps.

Paul Donahue
Lead Computer/Network Technician
CVM Information Technology Center
A227 VMC, Michigan State University
Phone:  353-5551   Fax:  432-2937

>>> [log in to unmask] 06/21/02 02:08PM >>>
It's a reason to stand up twice a day, turn your face toward Redmond,
and
loudly denounce Microsoft for the registry concept and for not cleanly
separating the hardware layers from the rest of the software.  Do it
every
day at 10 am and 4 pm Eastern time.

It's also a reason to:
-- Never install software over the internet
-- Keep all software installation files in a central, accessible place
on
server of your own
-- Use installation scripts wherever possible for even the most minor
software updates and configuration changes
-- Keep a chronological log of all updates and configuration changes

I wish I practiced all this as thoroughly as I preach it.

John Gorentz
W.K. Kellogg Biological Station