From:   Rich Wiggins [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent:   Thursday, February 28, 2002 3:12 PM
To:     [log in to unmask]
Subject:        Multiple network personalities for Windows laptops?

This may be an FAQ, so please point me to good sites if there's
a one-document cookbook on this.

What is the best way to give a laptop multiple network personalities?
Suppose a single laptop lives in multiple environments:

-- Plugged into a home network where I want to do Windows networking

-- Plugged into MSU's network where I want to mount my AFS space

-- Plugged occasionally into guest LANs

-- WiFi at home

-- WiFi at random public spaces (airport, coffee shops)

-- Dialup into Michnet or AOL on the road.

Is there a combination of Windows settings and 3rd party tools
that will let me quickly choose from a menu to swap from one
environment to another?  I have fiddled with the hardware profile
stuff a bit under Windows 2000 but it seems to want to tie things
to different adapters.  Here I've got 3 different adapters but
each can assume multiple personalities.

Obviously I don't want to participate in Windows networks when
in WiFi mode at an airport, but I *do* want to in wired mode
at home.

I have Windows 2000 and Windows ME laptops to solve this on.

My guess is there are other users on this campus with this need,
and maybe even fleets of laptops where it'd be nice to solve.

Thanks...

/rich