At 11:26 AM 12/17/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>Its really sick and twisted actually.  We just took four of our client
>machines offline wile we clean them because of a new magistrate variant.  We
>use Eudora here as well.  When a user opens the viral code it looks for
>outlook express to spread and checks outlook address books, Eudora address
>books as well as temporary internet files for anything *@*.*  and send to
>them too.

I've read up on Magistr and have never come across a variant that in any
way uses the OE executable to spread itself.  It does, of course, use the
OE address book to get addresses, but a Eudora user will not have any
entries in the OE address book.  Thus, a Eudora user who merely has an
unused copy of OE installed is in no more danger from Magistr than a Eudora
user whose computer has been wiped clean of OE.

--Chris
Chris Wolf                    Computer Service Manager
Agricultural Economics        [log in to unmask]
Michigan State University     517 353-5017