I feel for you.  I have some friends in NYC who, in addition to all
the nuts things going on there have had to deal with Nimda as well.
They're conclusion was that they didn't trust *any* cleaning solution
completely, and did a scrub, reinstalling from the original CDs.

I'm not sure if this applies in this case, but how do you know your
backup isn't tainted?  It kind of sounds that way to be, paranoid that
I am.  (If Nimda didn't come out 'till after 9/8 then this isn't likely).

You might want to try another reload from the 9/8 backup, then reapply
all the patches again, after verifying the right order (or no order?).  If
that still fails, I'd reinstall from your original media.

archives.  Bugtraq has been a great place for Windows problems in the
past.  I have not kept up with it for a while now, but I can't imagine they
aren't still a great place to glean information.

--STeve Andre' (Political Science)