We're buying around 50 machines each year from Dell, and can get volume pricing that does not include OS purchase.
Here is Staci's number:  (888) 271-9888 X 208

Occasionally we have also purchased software from Ed Software.  Whichever would give us the better quote.  (Both price match, which makes purchasing all the easier)  :-)

-----Original Message-----
From: John Valenti [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, November 09, 2001 2:55 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Microsoft Licensing

At 02:13 PM 11/5/2001 -0500, Rob Neary wrote:
After attending a recent Microsoft Licensing event, I was curious what
everyone else might be doing for Microsoft Licensing:
- Is anyone else using http://eopen.microsoft.com/ to keep track of their
MOLP purchases from the Computer Store or elsewhere?  Comments - good/bad?
- And is anyone using other vendors to purchase MOLP product (besides the
Computer Store)?
- Has anyone setup their own Select or Enterprise Licensing agreement for
Microsoft products?

I didn't see much response on this, so I'll kick in my two cents...

eopen - my current system is a file folder in my desk. At one point I saw a brief blurb describing eopen, but I couldn't think of any advantages over my file folder. Generally we only license 3 MS products: the OS, Office and Visual Studio. VS is pretty much out of date, only installed in our lab and I doubt anyone uses it. All the Office licenses are on one sheet of paper. The OS licenses are several sheets of paper, plus a bunch of obsolete cards from Windows 95.     Less contact with Microsoft is better, IMHO.

other vendors - I just placed a small order for WinXP with the Computer Store. I still need to buy about 50 licenses, I recall some other company used to be about 10% cheaper (Staci Marinack? Software Express? - I lost the URL). All my previous licenses have been thru the Store, since it was only a few dollars and I preferred to employ on-campus people.

setup own agreement - I didn't even realize this was an option. For about 80 computers here, I doubt it would be worthwhile.

Our Office licenses are for 2000, we are hoping to hold out and not buy Office XP. I will probably be installing Win2000 with the WinXP licenses, since I'm more comfortable with 2000 and I don't see many big improvements in XP. We have about 50 systems with Win98 licenses that will be upgraded.

Has anyone found a method around paying more or twice for OS licenses with Dell?  Seems like ME or XPhome is standard, but you can upgrade to XPpro for $90. So really it is cheaper to buy the MOLP license and throw away the bundled XPhome (because the license says it's only for that computer, right?). Combine that with the lack of AMD systems and I'm looking at switching vendors.

-jav

* John Valenti Systems Analyst, Labor & Industrial Relations *
* 408 S Kedzie Hall, Michigan State University, E. Lansing, MI 48824 *
* (517) 353-1807 fax (517) 355-7656 [log in to unmask] *