Quoted from Sharon Byers on Mon, Oct 22, 2001 at 04:27:13PM -0400:
> I'm the webmaster of the Office of Financial Aid(OFA).  Rich
> Wiggins pointed me to a nifty search engine called FreeFind.  It
> works great to search only our domain, and it IS free, except that
> it contains banner ads.  The ads can be removed at a cost of
> $108/year.
>
> My question is - is there a similar FREE product that is ad-free?
> And/or does MSU have a site-license to a search that will limit
> itself just to a domain like ours (www.finaid.msu.edu).  << You
> can try FreeFind here.

search.msu.edu should be able to do a limited search of just your
domain if you add "+host:www.finaid.msu.edu" to your search.  I
just did a quick check, but it looks like search.msu.edu hasn't
indexed any pages on your site.  You might contact the search
administrator and see if they can help track down why your site
isn't indexed (there's a "problems and feedback" link near the
bottom of the page at http://search.msu.edu/ ).  Assuming you could
get search.msu.edu to include your pages, this would probably be
the "right way" to have an external search service index your site.
It's free (well, MSU is paying a lot of money for the AltaVista
software, but for you to search your site, it's free...).

Alternatively, you could set up your own search engine.  This
requires a lot more work, but you can customize your results a lot
more and do things like put important pages at the top of the list.

If you want to set up your own, or find a different external search
service, you can find information at:

http://www.searchtools.com/

--
Edward Glowacki                 [log in to unmask]
Michigan State University