FW: Job: Great Lakes Literacy Educator, NY Sea Grant, Cornell University

"Schneider, Jim" <[log in to unmask]>

Schneider, Jim

Thu, 10 Dec 2020 20:18:58 +0000

text/plain

From: Latimore, Jo <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thursday, December 10, 2020 at 3:11 PM
To: Schneider, Jim <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Job: Great Lakes Literacy Educator, NY Sea Grant, Cornell University
Great Lakes Literacy Educator
Extension Associate
New York Sea Grant
College of Agriculture and Life Sciences (CALS)
Cornell University
Buffalo, New York

The College of Agriculture and Life Sciences (CALS) at Cornell embraces diversity and seeks candidates who will contribute to a climate that supports students, faculty, and staff of all identities and backgrounds. We strongly encourage individuals from underrepresented identities to apply.

CALS is a pioneer of purpose-driven science and Cornell University’s second largest college. We work across disciplines to tackle the challenges of our time through world-renowned research, education, and outreach. The questions we probe and the answers we seek focus on three overlapping concerns: natural and human systems; food, energy and environmental resources; and social, physical and economic well-being.

New York Sea Grant (NYSG), one of the largest of the state Sea Grant programs, is a cooperative program of the State University of New York (SUNY) and Cornell University, with administrative offices at Stony Brook University, extension administration at Cornell University. Residents of New York State depend on our coasts for ports and marinas, trade and recreation, and their contribution to economic and environmental sustainability. NYSG is currently “making a difference” by supporting about 45 important research and outreach projects on issues such as shoreline protection, fisheries, aquatic invasive species, water quality, and harmful algal blooms.

Focus of the position:
Serve as the Great Lakes Leader of Coastal Literacy for New York Sea Grant by developing and implementing a research-based extension program on a Great Lakes basin, national and binational basis relating to ocean and coastal literacy programs. This position will help foster education efforts throughout the NYSG program, the Great Lakes Sea Grant Network and the National Sea Grant Program. Serve as Associate Director of the Great Lake Program at the University at Buffalo and as NYSG lead to the Great Lakes Ecosystems Educator Exchange. This position will serve as an educator on coastal issues such as relevant to Lake Erie as well as Lake Ontario. The position includes conducting information transfer, coordination, and outreach activities as assigned, as well as program evaluation. Represent the Sea Grant Extension Program in the above areas of subject matter specialization to the public, industry and community leaders, government officials, the media and university leaders.

The job duties include:

  * Providing leadership for the design, execution, and analysis of major educational program evaluations.
  * Developing initiatives for the delivery of Great Lakes and water science literacy programming for grades K-12 formal and informal education practitioners in New York to address the education and workforce development goals of New York Sea Grant and National Sea Grant strategic plans.

  * Implementing educational programs using a variety of educational tools such aspublications, electronic technology, group experiences, mass media, distance learning,individual advisement, and the like.

  * Developing and nurturing relationships with teachers of underserved students.
  * Researching and developing best practices and tools for teacher professional development in Great Lakes and water science literacy.
  * Actively pursuing outside grants and contracts to support the program area.
  * Researching and producing curricular kits in support of Great Lakes literacy.
  * Developing organization support documents such as proposals, annual reports, statewide impact statements, monthly narratives, and the like as approved by Sea Grant Extension leaders and to satisfy the requirements of outside funding entities.

This position is full-time and will be located in Buffalo, New York. This is a one-year appointment with possible extension depending on funding and performance.

Required Qualifications:

  * Master’s degree in coastal/natural resource management, land use planning, marine / environmental policy or closely related field.
  * 2+ years of relevant experience in Cooperative Extension, adult education, or conductingapplied research and extending this to potential users through organized educationalprograms.

  * Extensive knowledge of principles, theory, and research in subject matter field andknowledge of adult and youth education related to that area of specialization.
  * Advanced computer skills and the ability to use computer and long distance educationtechnologies in area of programming expertise.
  * Demonstrated ability to develop educational programs and teach adults.
  * Initiate, plan, conduct and evaluate informal adult/youth educational programs.
  * Define, conduct and interpret original applied research/demonstration projects.
  * Lead and effectively participate in professional team efforts.
  * Relate effectively to co-workers, advisors, community and professional leaders andtargeted audiences.
  * Communicate effectively through oral, written and visual channels.

  * Must be able to meet the travel requirements of the position, and have reliable transportation as well as have and maintain a valid and unrestricted New York State driver’s license.

Preferred Qualifications:

  * Experience working in Environmental Justice communities

Rewards and Benefits

We hope you appreciate great benefits. Cornell receives national recognition as an award-winning workplace for our health, wellbeing, sustainability, and diversity initiatives.

  * Our benefits program includes comprehensive health care options, employee discounts with local and national retail brands, and generous retirement contributions.
  * Our leave provisions include three weeks of vacation and 12 holidays: e.g., an end-of-year winter break, from December 25 through January 1.
  * Cornell's impressive educational benefits include tuition-free Part-time Study and Employee Degree Program, Tuition Aid for external education, and Cornell Children's Tuition Assistance program.

  * We invite you to follow this link to get more information: https://hr.cornell.edu/summaries-benefits<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/hr.cornell.edu/summaries-benefits__;!!HXCxUKc!hsr5W9txxVZkb7QmpD6byDQXBrwiOgp5w7vqErfGpbM_lLVaPs0f9WjjjGeFSYo$>.

To apply:

Please apply via Academic Jobs On-line (https://academicjobsonline.org/ajo/jobs/17740<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/academicjobsonline.org/ajo/jobs/17740__;!!HXCxUKc!hsr5W9txxVZkb7QmpD6byDQXBrwiOgp5w7vqErfGpbM_lLVaPs0f9WjjGw3Nqeg$>).
Qualified candidates should submit a short cover letter, curriculum vitae, contact information for three references, and a statement of contribution to diversity, equity and inclusion<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/cals.cornell.edu/about/leadership/ofa/hr/statement-contribution-diversity-equity-and-inclusion/__;!!HXCxUKc!hsr5W9txxVZkb7QmpD6byDQXBrwiOgp5w7vqErfGpbM_lLVaPs0f9WjjGk3GfZo$> via the website.
For full consideration, applications must be submitted by January 15, 2021. However, the position will remain open until filled.
For a full position description, go to https://seagrant.sunysb.edu/articles/r/1442<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/seagrant.sunysb.edu/articles/r/1442__;!!HXCxUKc!hsr5W9txxVZkb7QmpD6byDQXBrwiOgp5w7vqErfGpbM_lLVaPs0f9WjjhD3muKk$> or contact Pat Hoyt via email [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> or phone at 607-255-2832.

College of Agriculture and Life Sciences
Life. Changing.

Cornell University is an innovative Ivy League university and a great place to work. Our inclusive community of scholars, students, and staff impart an uncommon sense of larger purpose and contribute creative ideas to further the university's mission of teaching, discovery, and engagement.

Diversity and Inclusion are a part of Cornell University’s heritage. We are a recognized employer and educator valuing AA/EEO, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities. We also recognize a lawful preference in employment practices for Native Americans living on or near Indian reservations.