]

Font:

LISTSERV at MSU

FWGRADJOBS Home

FWGRADJOBS  December 2016, Week 3

FWGRADJOBS December 2016, Week 3

FW: [ECOLOG-L] Summer Research Fellowships (Undergrad, Grad, Postdoc) at UVA Field Station

"Schneider, Jim" <[log in to unmask]>

Schneider, Jim

Tue, 20 Dec 2016 21:53:02 +0000

text/plain

From: ECOLOG-L <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>> on behalf of Kyle Haynes <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
Date: Tuesday, December 20, 2016 at 3:28 PM
To: ECOLOG-L <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
Subject: [ECOLOG-L] Summer Research Fellowships (Undergrad, Grad, Postdoc) at UVA Field Station

Blandy Experimental Farm at University of Virginia has some wonderful
fellowship opportunities for undergraduate and graduate students and
postdocs during summer 2017.  The opportunities are open to applicants
from any college or university.

Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU):
The program emphasizes experimental ecology and evolutionary biology
including a wide variety of topics such as plant-animal interactions,
pollinator behavior and ecology, insect population ecology, and
ecosystem ecology. Successful applicants will receive a $5775 stipend,
additional money for food, and free housing.  Each student picks a
research mentor from our pool of faculty members and graduate students
and then conducts an independent research project.  The students will
gain experience in experimental design, data collection, analytical
techniques, and written and oral presentation of findings.  REU students
also benefit from several professional development workshops.

This is a wonderful opportunity for an undergraduate student
contemplating a future in science. The application deadline is March 1,
2017.

To apply: https://sites.google.com/site/blandyreu/

Graduate and Postdoc Research Fellowships:

Are you a graduate student or postdoc in need of a field station? Summer
stipends ($6000 per summer), free on-site housing, and funds for
research ($750 per summer) are available for 1-2 graduate students or
postdocs proposing original research that uses our resources and
facilities and contributes to the ongoing science program at the
station.

Interested students/postdocs should contact a Blandy faculty member to
discuss conducting your research at Blandy.  You can direct your
inquiries based on the faculty member with the closest match to your
research interests; however, we are open to people working in all fields
of environmental, ecological, and evolutionary research.

Keep in mind this is not a complete fellowship package, rather it
provides summer financial support and access to our facilities to
supplement existing support from your home institution.

Dr. Kyle Haynes (population and landscape ecology, forest insect
dynamics)
Dr. David Carr (plant reproductive ecology, inbreeding and genetic
variation)
Dr. T'ai Roulston (pollination, plant-animal interactions, bee biology)

For more information about the station:
http://blandy.virginia.edu/research.