Field Production Site Manager for Center for Agroecology and Sustainable Food
Systems (CASFS) - Full Time
Manage vegetable crop rotations and crop planning for field site production
(CSA, market cart, wholesale, dining hall sales, and use of produce by Life
Lab programs): variety selection, seed orders, greenhouse production of
transplants; direct sowing & transplant of crops. Manage irrigation, weeding,
pest control, harvest & post-harvest handling. Purchase necessary production
supplies. Develop annual income and expense budget. Produce detailed annual
Manage 1.5 acres of orchard crops (apples, pears, plums & kiwis) and .10 acres
blueberries. Maintain production records for California Certified Organic
Farmer (CCOF) certification, California Department of Food and Agriculture
(CDFA), and as necessary to guide annual production. Maintain field site
pesticide application records.
See full job description and apply online here:
Some duties are:
• Tractor work
• Supervise transplanting and direct-sowing, field irrigation,
weeding, and fertilizing.
• Coordinate orchard management, including pruning, thinning,
harvesting, and IPM monitoring and application of approved materials.
• Supervise maintenance of CSA Garden to optimize demonstration
and outreach capacities.
• Maintain production and sales records for continued crop
planning and marketing.
• Manage sales of field crops (broadcast price/availability for
wholesale & campus sales; generate invoices, receive payments). Manage
inventory and flow of harvested crops through cooler and non-refrigerated
storage. Purchase boxes and packaging supplies. Set pricing and direction of
CSA program, advertising, member sign-up process, guide and oversight member
communications (weekly newsletter), member surveys, oversight farm
participation in EBT program (Food Stamps). Manage produce donations program.
• Supervise CSA Coordinator in the administration of the CSA
• Support field research project development and supervise
trainees in implementing projects and carrying out research data collection.
• Apprentice course instruction, in-field training and
• Program administration, outreach and special projects
• Contribute to curriculum development, course planning, budget
planning and management, purchasing, fundraising, apprentice recruitment and
selection, and day-to-day coordination of the Apprenticeship Program.
• Create practical field learning experiences for undergraduates
through internships and assistance with agroecology labs and practica.
• Coordinate and develop produce donation program for CASFS
farm, establishing relationships with community agencies, and oversighting
• Support on-farm events, including the annual harvest festival
and other events related to CASFS outreach and fundraising.
• Contribute to the development of educational and training
materials related to organic specialty crop production, including training
videos and written materials.
• Liaison with Life Lab Food What! Program, providing program
support and mentoring, as well as liaison with Life Lab school field trip and
summer camp programs.
• Maintain safe and orderly public farm. Meet with Life Lab
staff to coordinate use of farm site for field trips, spring and fall
• Represent CASFS farm in Monterey Bay Organic Food Consortium