“Bridging the Divide”
5th Annual Conference
13-15 January, Dubai 2015
The AIBMENA committee is getting ready to welcome all of you who are from the MENA region and those who want a first-hand experience of the Middle East to Dubai, UAE! The conference will be an action-planned event. Those of you who have visited in the past – we look forwards to welcoming you again. It will be the middle of the Dubai Shopping Festival so bring your credit cards!
As many of you know the UAE is ranked 12th in the 2014 WEF Global Competitiveness Report. In 2013, with respect to humanitarian aid, UAE was the world’s largest donor country of official development assistance (ODA), with the highest Official Development Assistance/Gross National Income ratio (ODA/GNI ratio). As a destination it is the 2nd largest market for international brands, the 3rd largest re-export hub and 2nd busiest airport in the world! What make this place amazing (besides all the records breakers) is the 200 nationalities that reside here and the fact that you can reach 1/3 of the world’s population in a 4 hour flight and 2/3rd of the world population in an 8 hour flight. No wonder a country with a population of 9.5 million has seven international airports! UAE ranks according to the KOF Globalization Index report as 30th, higher than countries like USA. UAE ranks among the happiest in the world (14h) according to a recent 2013 World Happiness Index Report (above USA and UK).
UAE ranks number 1 in the world out of 132 countries for treating women with respect according to the Global Social Progress Index. UAE women are empowered. Whether it is fighting for their country (one of the UAE pilots fighting against ISIS is Major Mariam al-Mansouri), whether it is government (Sheikha Lubna Al Qassimi, Minister of International Cooperation and Development is constantly listed in the Forbes list of most powerful Arab women), business (Raja Easa Al Gurg, managing director of UAE-based Easa Saleh Al Gurg Group; Fatima Al Jaber, the chief operating officer of Al Jaber Group and Amna BinHendi, the chief executive of BinHendi Enterprises) and sports (recently Alia Saeed Mohammed won the 10,000 m at the Asian Games) for example.
AIBMENA CONFERENCE ACTIVITIES
• On 13 January 2015, our opening ceremony and AIBMENA Awards night will be celebrated with a special panel session themed, “Social Entrepreneurs: A Brave Breed of Managers For the New World”. Some of the world renowned panelists are Bobby Sagar, philanthropist and photographer, best known for founding the Sager Family Traveling Foundation and Roadshow (More at: http://www.synergos.org/globalgivingmatters/features/1404teamsager.htm). Fadi Ghandour, the Founder of Aramex PJSC, the first Arab company to be listed on the NASDAQ Stock Exchange (More at: http://www.aramex.com/content/uploads/109/200/38482/Fadi-Ghandour-profile-in-English.pdf)
• Some of the senior academics attending the event are: Prof. Robert Grosse, past AIB President and Fellow, AIB. He is also the Dean of the School of Business and Administration in the American University of Sharjah, UAE. Prof Grosse is a leading author on international business in Latin America and author of several books and international academic journal articles. The latest book – “Emerging Markets: The Challenge and Opportunity of the 21st Century” will be released this year (More at: http://www.aus.edu/site/custom_scripts/profile_details.php?profileID=41). Prof. Vipin Gupta is the Associate Dean, Global Management Center Co-director, in the University of California, San Bernardino, USA. Prof. Gupta has authored or edited 16 books and 150 journal articles or book chapters, and authored the seminal GLOBE project on culture and leadership in 62 societies. He has published about one hundred fifty articles in international academic journals and as book chapters (More at: http://phonebook.csusb.edu/FacultyProfile.aspx?ID=740 ).They will be in a panel focusing on the "Role of Culture and International Business". Since Dubai won the Expo 2020 we have decided to put together a special panel on "How Place Branding affects International Business".
• We will run a special paper development workshop sponsored by the Journal of International Business (JIBS) and a case development workshop.
• Shortlisted papers will be invited to submit to the special issue of the International Journal of Business and Emerging Markets on the theme Internationalisation of Business Education in the Middle East and North Africa and the African Journal of Business & Economic Research among other special issues planned.
• The paper submission site can be found at: http://aib.uowdubai.ac.ae/details.php?sec=5,5,2.
We have extended the paper submission deadline; please refer to the site for more details.
Below is the following important Dates for you to remember:
Expressions of Interest: 30 October, 2014
Full Paper Submission: 1 December, 2014
On behalf of the AIBMENA Committee,
Immanuel Azaad Moonesar R.D., BSc, Dip-ICND (UWI), NEBOSH, MQM (UOW), PhD Candidate
Vice President, Database and Marketing
Academy of International Business- Middle East North Africa (AIB-MENA)
Email: [log in to unmask]
AIB-L is brought to you by the Academy of International Business.
For information: http://aib.msu.edu/community/aib-l.asp
To post message: [log in to unmask]
For assistance: [log in to unmask]
AIB-L is a moderated list.