Senior Scientist, Management of Agrobiodiversity in Humid Tropic Systems
Bioversity International is a research-for-development organization working with partners worldwide to use and conserve agricultural and tree biodiversity for improved livelihoods, nutrition, sustainability and productive and resilient ecosystems. Bioversity International is a member of the CGIAR Consortium, a global research partnership for a food secure future. Bioversity International has more than 300 staff and scientists’ worldwide working with almost 700 partners.
For further information on Bioversity International, consult the Web page at
Purpose of Role
As a member of the Agrobiodiversity and Ecosystem Service Programme, the incumbent will conduct research on use of agrobiodiversity in Humid Tropic System under the supervision of the East Asia Coordinator and the Focal Point of CRP1.2 – Humidtropics, Bioversity. The position will be based in Yunnan Academy of Agricultural Sciences (YAAS), Kunming, China and managed by Bioversity’s Sub-regional Office for East Asia, Beijing.
The appointee will have the following responsibilities:
· Develop and lead primary research on the use of agrobiodiversity in humid tropic system with focus on the Mekong region, including Guangxi and Yunnan, China;
· Identify and adopt practical options mainstreaming biodiversity into the agroecological intensification by integrating diversity, productivity and marketing components in farming system, particularly banana-based production system in the Mekong region;
· Develop methodologies and institutional innovations for participatory assessment and management of agrobiodiversity for agroecological intensification and sustainable livelihoods;
· Contribute to the assessment of research needs in management of agrobiodiversity in humid tropic system and develop project proposal in collaboration with partners, including other CGIAR centers, in the Mekong region;
· Build partnerships on the conservation and use of agricultural biodiversity with scientists, practitioners and other stakeholders including CGIAR centers, and NGOs in the Mekong region;
· Identify and lead the develop new funding opportunities including developing proposals and concept notes for the generation of financial and human resources to support the research agenda;
· Develop scientific outputs on management of agricultural biodiversity in agroecological intensification, including the development of guidelines, publications in scientific journals;
· Contribute to other organizational and programmatic activities as and when required.
Qualifications and competencies:
Essential qualifications & competencies:
* PhD in Agroecology, Agroecosystem Science, Crop Breeding and Genetics, or Agronomy.
* Strong statistical knowledge and experience in studies and analyses of household survey data.
* At least 10 years of experience in research on agroecological systems, agricultural development, and/or cropping systems.
* A record of scientific achievement in the implementation of research projects and a demonstrated publications record in relevant fields.
* Excellent communication, interpersonal and team work skills including the ability to effectively interact with people at all levels and work effectively in a multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary environment.
* Strong project management skills.
* Well developed analytical and synthesizing skills including the ability to write clear and concise scientific documents.
* Experience in developing and writing research proposals.
* Excellent working knowledge of English and Chinese, both verbal and written.
* Strong desire to work in an output driven environment integrating ecological theory with practice; combined field and analytical experience, and a desire to put scientific skills to work to talking agricultural development problems of global significance.
* Age should be no more than 50 years old by 31 March 2014.
Desirable qualifications and competencies:
· Experience in implementing research supporting sustainable use of agricultural biodiversity including genetic diversity, agroecosystem services, or related biological topics.
· Experience working on tropical fruits (banana or mango) based agroecosystems, integration of ecological skills into market based approaches.
· Participation in global fora and networks on the relevant areas.
Terms and conditions: This is locally recruited position. Bioversity International offers an attractive salary, while Yunnan Academy of Agricultural Sciences provides social security coverage, housing and other allowances. The initial contract will be for a period of three years subject to a probationary period of one year.
Applications: Please apply online through Bioversity Job Opportunities web page (
) by clicking the “Apply” button, completing the online application and attaching the required information, no later than 10 April 2014. Please note that in the application you are required to provide the contact details (address, telephone number and e-mail address) of at least three referees, which Bioversity will contact for short listed applicants.
Bioversity is an equal opportunity employer and strives for staff diversity.
Julie Cotton, M.S.
Sustainable Agriculture and Food Systems
Michigan State University
A264 Plant and Soil Science Building
East Lansing, MI 48824
[log in to unmask]
517-355-0271 ext. 1156