Re: SAP GUI on Macs

Patrick Bills <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 27 Jan 2011 17:51:23 -0500

text/plain

I am in the same boat as our chair is a mac user.  I also don't post much here. I'm sorry if the following is long but hope it continues a good discussion.

Timo is correct that there were meetings and lots of notice of the system requirements. Many of us saw this coming but also saw it as inevitable.  What I didn't see happen was an active interest in what we really wanted in the units. Perhaps a survey of client requirements or what we wanted ( over email, this listserv etc).  Mac compatibility would be one of those things.  Or did I miss something?

That goes not just for this issue of OS  support but for the greater issue of user interface or reporting requirements.  Not one staff person I've spoken with is happy with the UI on any platform. My job now is to fiddle with the SAP web interface to help people get there work done. These are folks who took all training they could get their hands on and still could not print without my help (and I had no training, folks like us just know what to look for). We knew this was coming and it would be hard but not to the extent that it is.  But no one asked our staff about their processes.   Everything seems to take more clicks, more data entry, more work.  The cost of the  time spent just trying to get useable reports to find out if employees got paid  is way more than $140, and that's the real burden on the staff    I'm sure the back-end databases are awesome and will be great for reporting but that doesn't help my folks now.

I can see why supporting a java client is problematic. The way to help users then is to write web apps against the API that are tailored for the user,  as Alexander Hawley suggests.  To that end (and on another thread) I would like to know who is working on web apps against EBS api's for staff daily activities. I hear there is a team at AIS and they are prioritizing. What about    outside of AIS?  And what is the timeline?  Who will be allowed to write such apps? ( any of us?)  That would be a great topic for the IT conference.  Perhaps this was discussed at the meetings I couldn't  attend. The staff is really miserable right now.

For the near term however, and back to original question, I would be happy to help build a reference XP system for Virtual Box that has the installs needed to access SAP that we could all share. Virtual Box is not as slick as the other VM apps but works fine for occasional use.  We would each be responsible for our own licensing on an honor system.  If you want to change the UIDs or whatever windows wants for proper replication then go ahead.  I'm finding that not much is necessary. This may be heresy in the windows world but works for me to deal with this issue for now.

---
Patrick Bills