OGM and organic vs. local...

Dr Tom Zennie <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 16 Mar 2007 00:16:27 -0400

text/plain

The main reason OGM is no longer certifying growers is that the growers
themselves didn't give a shit about OGM. The majority of  most OGM
growers/members only cared about getting their value added organic
certification for the cheapest price with the least hassle. It was a great
organization while it lasted. We could have easily withstood an audit but
there was no one to step up to the plate and take some responsibility for
the time and effort to organize the records. Pat Whetham could only do so
much. and she did a lot!

BTW, the truth be told, the main people for getting OGM accredited with the
USDA are : Grey Larison, Pat Whetham, Nancy Zennie and me. No one else even
comes in a distant  fifth or sixth.  Nancy and I left the state and the
whole thing went to pot...

OGM was a purely volunteer organization of  like minded philosophically
organic farmers that wanted to help each other and their neighbors raise
healthy food. It changed however...

p.s. Where are the majority of growers now getting certified? I'd bet they
not getting it from the "state organic program"!!!!

Zen Sheep Farm
Tom and Nancy Zennie
4963 E CR 900 S
Cloverdale, IN 46120