SCIENCE AT THE EDGE SEMINAR

INTERDISCIPLINARY PHYSICS

Friday, September 5- at 11:30am

Room 1400 Biomedical and Physical Sciences Bldg.

Refreshments at 11:15

Hiroshi Yamaguchi

NTT Basic Research Laboratories, NTT Corporation

Nonlinear Interaction and Coherent Phonon Dynamics in Electromechanical Resonators

The periodic elastic motion of mechanical elements can be regarded as an ensemble of acoustic phonons, described as a phonon coherent state in quantum mechanics. An electromechanical resonator is one of the most ideal phonon cavities, where the phonon ensemble survives much longer than the oscillation period. The long-lived phonons at different normal modes have larger probability for mutual interaction and the precise manipulation of mechanical oscillation through the nonlinear dynamics becomes possible. GaAs/AlGaAs parametric resonators allow us to electrically control the nonlinear coupling of different mechanical modes and provide an excellent platform for the experiments of nonlinear phononics. In this talk, I will present our approaches on the nonlinear phononics experiments using the semiconductor-based electromechanical resonators.

Starting from the basic mechanism of nonlinear interaction in our devices, the concepts of single/multi-mode and red/blue-sideband parametric amplification will be described. As the examples of their implementation, I will talk on our recent results on the coherent control [1,2], phonon lasing [3], and 2-mode thermal noise squeezing [4]. The highly controllable mechanical devices open up a new direction in the study of the fundamental phonon dynamics, as well as the realization of novel kind of electromechanical systems, including high-speed sensors and actuators, high-frequency filters, and ultra-high energy-efficient phonon processors.