BISHOP TO GRANHOLM: MAKE TAX PLANS PUBLIC

Governor Jennifer Granholm
<http://www.gongwer.com/index.cfm?link=bio.cfm&nameid=6701&locid=1>
should make public the proposals she has made in private negotiations to
raise revenue, Senate Majority Leader Mike Bishop
<http://www.gongwer.com/index.cfm?link=bio.cfm&nameid=17501&locid=1>
(R-Rochester) said Wednesday.

Mr. Bishop declined to identify the proposals Ms. Granholm had made in
meetings she has held with legislative leaders as they seek an agreement
on a 2009-10 fiscal year budget. He said it was Ms. Granholm's proposal
and she should be the one to reveal it.

"The public needs to know what the options are," Mr. Bishop told
reporters.

Noting that the Republican-led Senate passed a budget with about $1.2
billion in cuts, Mr. Bishop said it is incumbent on Ms. Granholm to
reveal her revised plan so residents and interest groups can weigh the
alternatives.

Although Ms. Granholm offered a budget recommendation in February,
available revenues have plummeted since then to create a $2.7 billion
combined general fund and School Aid Fund shortfall. When federal
stimulus money is included, the deficit drops to under $2 billion.

Ms. Granholm and the legislative quadrant is expected to meet again on
Thursday, Mr. Bishop said.

But Mr. Bishop also said the meetings are nothing like the ones leading
up the 2007 budget stalemate that led to a temporary shutdown of state
government.

"We've learned from what happened in the past," he said. "We are in a
position to close this deal before the budget deadline."

Granholm press secretary Liz Boyd said Ms. Granholm preferred to keep
the proposals she has made private during this phase of discussions.

"If something is deemed not acceptable to the parties, we're not certain
how much value there is in having a public discussion about it," she
said.

Airing proposals now could jeopardize reaching an agreement, Ms. Boyd
said.

"I think the public does want to know, but I think the public wants the
situation resolved," Ms. Boyd said.

The sides have agreed to keep the negotiations private, and Republicans
should honor that agreement, Ms. Boyd said. However, Mr. Bishop said he
thought keeping the discussions private two years ago helped contribute
to the shutdown.

Like Mr. Bishop, Ms. Boyd voiced optimism about a solution. "I think
we're on our way to resolving this budget deficit," she said.