Steve,

I guess we have something of an ironic advantage, what with the source of the vulnerability in Pacific time in Redmond, and us in Eastern time, and Greenwich time hours earlier.  So we can thank Europe for being our early watchdogs.

Even if a vulnerability was discovered and patched last October, as this one was, it remains a latent threat.  Recently I dusted off a computer that was never connected to the Net (used for video work) and sold it to a friend.  Within seconds of connecting it to the Net it became infected with multiple old Windows XP SP1 vintage assaults.

You'd hope and expect that any MSU-owned computer would be up to date with Windows Update, but there may be the odd machine that's not current as to OS or anti-virus.

/rich