Maybe I misunderstood your question or you didn't quite get my response, either way it doesn't look like there is any point in continuing this discussion since you now have a clear answer from Hostmaster. Firm. -----Original Message----- From: MSU Network Administrators Group [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of David McFarlane Sent: Thursday, February 26, 2009 5:01 PM To: [log in to unmask] Subject: Re: [MSUNAG] How to force a new IP address from DHCP? Firm, >An immediate but temporary fix would be to manually assign an IP address >from your DHCP range but you run the risk of that IP being assigned to >another machine. Either I'm not getting your answer, or you don't get my question. First, I am not sure what you mean by "manually assign an IP address from your DHCP range". Do you mean assign a *static* IP address from our DHCP range? But isn't that the source of the very problem I described? Wouldn't that just compound the problem, as Jeff Utter says? And this does not address the question as I posed it: How do we force DHCP to assign a new *dynamic* IP address? If you happen to know that the DHCP protocol forbids this (as another here has already posted), then please just say that and that will end the discussion. >I believe the IPs will be assigned based on the machine's MAC address >and not by room numbers. Once again, I must be missing something, because I do not see what that has to do with the discussion. Of course IPs are assigned based on the machine's MAC address, that is exactly the problem. We want DHCP to give a new dynamic IP from the pool to a computer that retains its MAC address, rather than just handing it back its latest IP address from the MAC to dynamic IP tables. Thanks again for trying, -- dkm