Could be set up this way yes. However it could also be an entirely new range that is used for these systems. To answer David's question: We could go about the necessary DHCP gymnastics to cause that single IP to not be handed out in your pool. It is generally a better overall move for us to spend the few minutes it takes to hunt down the squatter and kick them from the network via port block. Also I don't seem to see a problem number filed on this, are we talking in the hypothetical here? If not please send me the case number you have off-list so I can look into this issue. -- Jeff Utter -----Original Message----- From: MSU Network Administrators Group [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Charlot, Firmin Sent: Thursday, February 26, 2009 4:22 PM To: [log in to unmask] Subject: Re: [MSUNAG] How to force a new IP address from DHCP? Perhaps someone from Hostmaster could offer more specific details, but my understanding is that those IPs will be a subset of the DHCP assigned ranges. For example each building has a dedicated DHCP range(s). Out of that dedicated range, you could specify a few machines that would always get same IPs from campus DHCP. Hope this helps. Firm. -----Original Message----- From: David McFarlane [mailto:[log in to unmask]] Sent: Thursday, February 26, 2009 4:15 PM To: Charlot, Firmin; [log in to unmask] Subject: Re: [MSUNAG] How to force a new IP address from DHCP? Firm, >If I remember correctly, you can request from Hostmaster.msu.edu that a >set of machines be assigned a specific IP range from campus DHCP. >You may have to provide the MAC address of all DHCP clients involved. >That should resolved this issue. Thanks. Hmm, but what if a rogue steals an IP address from our assigned range for their static IP? How could we force DHCP to give our machine another address from our assigned range, but not the rogue's stolen static IP? Thanks, -- dkm