Subject: College Access Resource: www.college.gov

Hello,

Denise Verner (Association of Michigan School Counselors)thought I might
pass this on to the group.

Thanks,

Brandy

******

Hello everyone,

A posting on the NACAC listserv announced that  a new web site has been
developed by the federal government to help students/parents with
college access information.     I thought it pertinent to share with all
of you.   Here is the email from the U.S. Dept of Ed and the link to the
website.     This would have been a great program/website to share with
the 600+ school counselors that attended the Promoting the Publics event
this past week at Michigan State.    Yet another reason for the MDE to
create a state sponsored  website,  listserv, etc for school counselors
to get up to date information about postsecondary planning and other
counseling related supports!  :)

Denise Verner
Association of Michigan School Counselors

www.college.gov

I am pleased to announce the launch of an exciting, innovative new
resource-www.college.gov. College.gov was designed by students for
students and features first-person accounts of students who overcame
challenges to going to college such as peer pressure, lack of family
support, and financial barriers. It provides relevant, comprehensive
information about why to go, how to go, and how to pay for college or
other postsecondary education programs. Young people who may not have
considered higher education a viable option will be engaged, informed,
and inspired to create their own "roadmap" to college.

We want to make sure that all students are aware of college.gov, and we
need your help to make that happen.
To support this site, you can:
* Establish a link to college.gov on your website (preferably your home
page)
* Notify your staff, membership or constituents about college.gov
through email
* Contact Department of Education staff at [log in to unmask] if you need
more information or have speaking or exhibiting opportunities with your
organization at which we may introduce college.gov

Please join with me in ensuring all students learn about this resource.
Sara Martinez Tucker
Under Secretary
U.S. Department of Education