John Mackey has announced that Whole Foods Market will make $10 million available annually for low-interest loans to small, local agricultural producers. Whole Foods Market has recently begun the design and initial implementation of the loan program. Applications are now being accepted (see instructions below). Farmers and artisinal food producers can apply for up to a $50,000 LOAN for expansion and capital development projects.
If you are considering applying for a loan, please remember that loan recipients must:
· Meet Whole Foods Market's Quality Standards
· Use funds for expansion, not operating expenses (e.g., buy more animals or new equipment/infrastructure, expand crops)
· Meet Whole Foods Market's Animal Compassion Standards (if meat or dairy producers)
· Have a viable business plan and adequate cash flow to service debt
1. Download and complete the loan application.
Organic Vegetable and Crop Outreach Specialist
Michigan State University
C.S. Mott Sustainable Food Systems
303 Natural Resources Bldg.
East Lansing, MI 48824
If you would like to access a searchable archive of the all the previous Mich-Organic listserv postings copy this URL and paste in your browser address field http://list.msu.edu/archives/mich-organic.html