You are right on about the fencing, and aluminum foil tabs. Inserting a bit of peanut butter into the tabs seems to attract their noses for a shock as well. -s. On Jun 1, 2006, at 8:42 PM, Dr Tom Zennie wrote: > Sue, > > Electric fence works the best for all these critters. I've heard that > blood meal does work but it stinks to high heaven. Good fertiilzer too > > A farm I inspected up in the UP really had deer problems with their > sweet corn until they used the electric fence. A low wire (~1 foot > off the ground) for raccoons and skunks and groundhogs and another > one about 3 feet and another one about 4 feet just out in front of the > the other two. We wouldn't get any sweet corn if it weren't for the > electric fence. If the single wires do not stop the raccoons then use > electro-netting available from sheep and goat supplies. These > particular producers had a fence about 10 feet high with high tensile > wire because the deer got accustomed to jumping over the lower wires. > > Tip: > Put tabs of aluminum foil on the outside wire to attract attention to > the deer and they will touch their noses to it out of curiosity and > get a good jolt and will stay away. They will run through the wire if > they do not have a fear of it. > > I've also heard that human hair and droppings from lions and tigers > (from the zoo) work really well as repellants. > > We use poly wire which is easier to stretch and tie rather than > straight 17-19 gauge electric fence wire. > > Good luck > > ----- Original Message ----- From: "Susan Houghton" > <[log in to unmask]> > To: <[log in to unmask]> > Sent: Thursday, June 01, 2006 7:07 PM > Subject: Blood meal/Bone meal > > >> Soes anyone know of a certified source of blood or bone meal in a >> quantity? >> >> Does anyone have experience using either as an animal deterrent? The >> deer, >> racoons, skunks, fox, and turkeys are plentiful on our farm. We can >> get a >> permit to shoot the deer, but would prefer not to. >> >> We have been using Hortonava trellis over heads of lettuce, but we are >> running out, and that doesn't work for cabbage, broccoli, beans, or >> watermelons. Any advice about suggested controls would be >> appreciated. >> >> >> Susan Houghton >> Giving Tree Farm >> 15433 Turner Road >> Lansing MI 48906 >> 517-482-8885 >> [log in to unmask] >> Why Wait? Move to EarthLink. >> >> If you would like to access previous postings to the Mich-Organic >> listserv you can copy and paste the following URL into your browser >> address bar >> http://list.msu.edu/archives/mich-organic.html >> > > If you would like to access previous postings to the Mich-Organic > listserv you can copy and paste the following URL into your browser > address bar > http://list.msu.edu/archives/mich-organic.html > If you would like to access previous postings to the Mich-Organic listserv you can copy and paste the following URL into your browser address bar http://list.msu.edu/archives/mich-organic.html