I personally prefer the merit style of the 'status' page containing a snapshot of not only current but relevant information for the past few days. its not as verbose, but presents a better overview of UP/DOWN. http://www.merit.edu/mail.archives/mn-network-events/ Even netmon has this in its alerts: http://netmon.cl.msu.edu/netmon/msu/allbbdown.html (Recently Down.. Back Up). Why does it show scheduled outages if its not going to show resolved outages? Maybe it should say "UP - MSU5 router" under outages to let people know an explict change has occured - rather than dissapearing. The other possibility is that an 'archived status history' event might still have relevance to a current problem a user is experiencing. Why should there be a separate link to let people get an idea of change that might have occurred? The possibility of providing the illusion that there was not a recent problem is somewhat high. If just the past 7 days were added below the "Systems Scheduled for Maintenance", it would be a welcome addition. Then the archived status link can be placed in a section which is relevant to its content which is displayed. BTW - either the joins or updates to the db seem really weird: https://contact.cl.msu.edu/status/status_history.php?id=000000000000212 same body copy 4 times.. J Rich Wiggins wrote: >Folks, > >Hmmm, I think this is an example of rising expectations. :-) Six months >ago, we didn't have a mechanism for folks to check on current outages. >When we set up help/status we heard that computer support people needed >to know not only about outages right now, but also outages that had >been resolved. So we added that functionality. > >The theory is this: Your dean says "Was there a network problem >this morning?" or "Is there a problem with ANGEL today?" > >You go to help.msu.edu/status. You scan for current outages. You >see none. You then click on the link for archived (ie resolved, >it isn't down any more) outage reports. > >In a couple of clicks, you know about all the outages that are >ongoing now, and all those within the last week. It seems to me >that this will answer the questions that we heard at the last face to >face NAG meeting are asked by your faculty, staff, and management. > >We don't want the CURRENT outages page to list RESOLVED outages; >that page is so people can know what is down now or is scheduled >to be down soon. As Doug indicates, it should be easy enough >for folks to click on one more link to find out about recent outages. > >If you are interested in more detailed archive information, you >can click to open the time window to: > >Last 30 days Last 90 days Last 365 days > >You can sort by the system that failed and you can filter by >whether past outages where scheduled or not. > >We are continuing to refine out help/status works. The entries you >see from September are still there because they are STILL ongoing >problems. We're working on splitting off a new category so that >the first page of help.msu.edu/status will show three main items: > >-- System outages (ie a major system is down right now) > >-- Bulletins (ie something significant of campus-wide interest >w/r/t IT, e.g. a new major virus threat. A number of the items >now listed as Outages would be filed as Bulletins; eg AOL blocking >Pilot mail.) > >-- Scheduled maintenance (ie planned service on a production system. >Usually these items will be scheduled for off hours.) > >We're certainly open to suggestions as we evolve these tools to meet >the information needs we've heard from customers. Maybe after we >have Bulletins implemented would be near the time of the next NAG >meeting -- where we can go over help/status face to face. > >Keep those expectations rising. :-) If you know of examples from >other institutions whose Web-based IT outages reporting systems are >worth emulating, please let us know the specifics. > >Thanks, > >/rich > > > >>I am requesting that outage reports be left up on the main page for at least a >>week before being archived then. >> >>There is information on the status page from September and October. To have >>archived an outage report this quickly doesn't serve the needs of those who >>have to answer questions from patrons and faculty. >> >>Don Bosman >>Information Technologist >>Michigan State University Libraries >>517-432-6123 ext 233 >>[log in to unmask] >> >> >> >> >> >>-----Original Message----- >>From: Doug Nelson [mailto:[log in to unmask]] >>Sent: Friday, November 07, 2003 12:32 PM >>To: [log in to unmask] >>Subject: Re: dialup DNS problems >> >> >> >> >>>I thought that campus-wide outages were going to be posted on the Computer >>>Lab Status page? http://help.msu.edu/status/ There is nothing about an >>>outage posted, therefore it never happened(?) >>> >>> >>Go to that page, then click on "archived status history". Look for an >>entry entitled "Off campus network connections down" and dated 10/30/2003 >>11:51 pm. >> >> >>Doug Nelson [log in to unmask] >>Network Manager Ph: (517) 353-2980 >>Computer Laboratory http://www.msu.edu/~nelson/ >>Michigan State University >> >>